- Supercardioid polar pattern that rejects room tone and instrument bleed
- Detailed, extended top end with ribbon smoothness and warmth
- Supreme durability for close-range, outdoor, and live use
- Active electronics and custom transformer optimized for all preamps
- Front address design with built-in yoke is simple to position
- Integrated high-pass filter switch reduces proximity effect at close-range
- Matte black finish is discreet on camera
- Made in the U.S.A.
The supercardioid KU5A breaks new ground in ribbon technology with its acutely focused directionality that rejects bleed from other instruments, room reflections, and loud ambience in the studio and on stage.
Never before has a ribbon mic delivered as much clarity and breadth of sound in a package so fit for both studio and live use. As a near-field ribbon designed for close range recording, the KU5A delivers the low-end heft and pronounced midrange one expects of AEA ribbons and with moderate, manageable proximity effect. Vocalists can sing directly into the grill of the KU5A, as its interior components are the most protected of any in the AEA lineup.
The KU5A is equipped with active electronics, fit for any preamp in the studio and on the road, as well as an integrated high-pass filter to roll off low end in close range recording applications.
THE SUPERCARDIOID RIBBON
The KU5A’s supercardioid polar pattern captures pure, direct sound while rejecting room tone from behind the mic. This feature prevents excessive monitor and audience bleed when tracking musicians live in one room or on stage. Traditional figure-of-8 ribbons, which distinctly incorporate both direct sound and room sound, rely on sharp nulls to reject unwanted bleed.
The KU5A’s end-address directionality and tight supercardioid pattern allow for effortless positioning on snare, toms, and other instruments that may be difficult to access. Signal bleed captured by dynamic mics and condensers often sounds harsh and brittle due to top-end frequencies. The minimal bleed captured by the KU5A sounds more natural as a result of its smooth top end and coheres well in a mix.