Buzz Audio DBC M
If you need this very urgent, please contact us and we keep you informed about the delivery date.
Add some real vibe to your mastering projects with our take on the vintage diode bridge compressor made famous by the Neve 2254.
- The LED meter now has improved resolution with 0.25dB steps up to -2dB gain reduction, then 0.5dB steps up to -6dB.
- The GAIN control now has smaller steps, 0.25dB increments up to +4dB gain, then 0.5dB up to +8dB.
audio path color
The DBC-M is a Mastering version of the popular Buzz Audio DBC-20 diode bridge compressor and offers fully switched control for repeatable settings. The diode bridge gain reduction element coupled with our innovative side chain design delivers a vintage vibe like no other. The DBC-M audio path uses our Class A discrete amplifier designs in a balanced configuration from input to output with a radio steel laminated transformer to couple into the diode bridge element. This overall combination produces a desirable compression character that can best be described as tight, colourful and rich with harmonics.
dynamic ratio power
In the style of compressors from the 60's, the DBC-M incorporates a automatic ratio whereby the compression ratio is progressively increased with deepening gain reduction. This feature allows for the control of very dynamic signals in a seamless fashion and is also a very desirable characteristic when used on complex percussive material.
This compressor is easy to get happening with six switched attack and release times covering a wide range, including an interesting auto release mode. Big knobs with 24 position stepped Elma controls are provided for the amount of compression and the output gain. The compressor can be switched to a Soft mode whereby dynamic peaks are partially retained and another switch introduces a high pass filter to the side chain to lower compression sensitivity at low frequencies. The attractive "point source" red LED bar graph meter accurately displays gain reduction and the gloss finish knobs adds to the vintage feel of the DBC-M.
- GAIN - 24 position Elma switch that adds gain at the output to correct for lost level with a range of 0-8dB in small steps.
- COMPRESSION - 24 position Elma switch that sets the amount of compression, increasing gain reduction with clock wise rotation.
- ATTACK - rotary switch with 6 settings, FAST (less than 0.5mS)-5mS-10mS-15mS-25mS-50mS.
- RELEASE - rotary switch with 6 recovery time settings, 50mS-100mS-200mS-400mS-600mS and AUTO.
- HARD/SOFT - adds dynamics in soft mode for times when very light compression is required.
- FLAT/BASS - reduces compression sensitivity at low frequencies for more bass punch, approx 8dB at 100Hz.
- BYPASS/ENGAGE - hard wire unit bypass to compare compressed and uncompressed signals.
- LED METER - gain reduction is displayed in 0.25dB steps up to -2dB and 0.5dB steps to -6dB.
- LINK A/B - links the side chains to prevent image shift when used on stereo material where there may be heavy channel to channel volume differences.
There is also a handy power ON/OFF switch on the front panel where it should be!